If you happen to be in an accident your insurer is there to help you, no matter who’s at fault.
It’s important to remember that you should not admit liability or try to settle a claim. This limits how your insurance company can sort things out with anyone else involved – and it may cancel out your claim.
If you’re pressed, say: “I need to talk with my insurance company. They’ll know what to do.”
If you're in an accident
Stop and give assistance. If anyone is injured, dial 111 for ambulance and police assistance.
Exchange details with other drivers, owners or witnesses such as:
- Phone numbers
- Car registration
- Insurance company details
If an uninsured driver hits your car, it's important that you also identify:
- The driver (by licence number if possible)
- The car and licence number
- Witnesses and their contact details
- The Police Officer contact details (if applicable)