AA Life Privacy Statement
AA Life Services Limited Privacy Statement
AA Life Services Limited (AA Life, we, us) is a joint venture between the New Zealand Automobile Association (NZAA) and Suncorp Group New Zealand Limited (Asteron Life). AA Life distributes insurance products and services that are manufactured by Asteron Life. This means that we share your personal information with Asteron Life so that the products and services you obtain from us can be issued to you by Asteron Life. You can find Asteron Life’s privacy statement here.
We are serious about protecting the privacy of your personal information and care will be taken in doing so. We are guided by the Privacy Act 1993 to guide us in our responsible handling of your personal information.
What is personal information?
It is information about a living, identifiable individual, rather than identifying information.
Why do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information so that we can:
- identify you
- establish your requirements and provide products or services you request from us
- set up and manage any products and services you obtain through us
- understand your needs and improve our products and services through research, product development and training
- get in touch with you or provide marketing communications with relevant information
What happens if you don’t give us the personal information we ask for?
If we ask for your personal information and you don’t give it to us, we may not be able to provide you with any, some, or all, of the features of our products or services available to you. For example, we may not be able to provide you with life insurance if you don’t tell us about your medical history or we can’t pay a claim if you don’t provide a bank account for us to pay the claim proceeds to.
At all times, we will respect and protect the privacy of your personal information. We use and disclose your personal information only for the purposes we disclose to you when we collect it.
We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from:
- our partner Asteron Life so that they can underwrite applications, issue and administer insurance policies and administer and manage claims
- information technology providers, such as hardware/software vendors and programmers
- customer or market research organisations
- policy holders, where you are an insured person, but not the policy holder
- government, law enforcement or statutory bodies
- other insurers, financial institutions, insurance and claims reference agencies, credit agencies, loss assessors, financiers, and investigative service providers
- legal, accounting, finance and other professional advisers
- hospitals, medical and health professionals
- administration or business management services
- printers, mail service and delivery providers
- imaging and document management services
- data modelling and research services
- other service providers
- external dispute resolution schemes
- as otherwise required by law.
We may disclose your personal information and/or collect personal information about you from persons overseas. We do this if you ask us to, or a law authorises us. When disclosing your personal information overseas we will always respect and protect the privacy of your personal information.
We may also disclose your personal information overseas to other companies, where a business function is outsourced or if we need to complete an electronic transaction or any other transaction on your behalf.
Storing your personal information
Your personal information is stored securely by us. We also use third party storage providers which may include cloud-based storage providers (in New Zealand or elsewhere) to store information on our behalf. We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from any loss, unauthorised access or other misuse.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
Simply get in contact using the contact details on this page to request access to or a correction of your personal information.
Sometimes we might not be able to provide some of your personal information. If this happens we’ll tell you why. If it looks like it might take longer to retrieve your personal information than we first expected, we’ll tell you when it should be available. For some detailed requests we may charge a fee to cover retrieval costs.
Using your personal information to market to you
We would like to use and disclose your personal information to keep you up to date with the range of products and services available. This includes using your personal details such as your address, email, or phone number as a means of communication with you. We will not market to you if you have voluntarily opted out from future communications via specific marketing channels.
Contacting us about privacy
Please feel free to contact us to:
- tell us your marketing preferences
- request access
- obtain more information about our privacy practices by asking for a copy of our Privacy Statement.
Privacy Officer, AA Life Services Limited, Private Bag 92120, Auckland 1142.
Contacting us about a complaint
If you have a complaint relating to your personal information, we ask that you contact our Privacy Officer (using the contact details above) or if you prefer you can lodge a complaint online via www.asteronlife.co.nz/make-enquiry#Complain. We try to resolve all disputes promptly and fairly.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome you may refer your privacy related complaint to the Privacy Commissioner:
0800 803 909 (from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)
Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143
Changes to this statement
We reserve the right to change, modify, or amend this statement at any time. Should there be a material change to our information collection and use practices, it will be applied only to information collected on a going forward basis, and we will update this statement and indicate a new review date.