AA Smartfuel Limited considers the protection of privacy to be of utmost importance. We are committed to providing you with a service that meets your requirements in a way that safeguards your privacy. We appreciate the trust you have placed in us.
This policy explains how your personal information may be collected and used. It also outlines some of the security measures employed to protect your privacy.
In this policy, where used, terms will have the following meaning:
“Approved Purposes” mean personal information use purposes connected to the AA Smartfuel programme
“Participating Enterprise” means a retailer through which you can accumulate or redeem AA Smartfuel Rewards
“Personal Information” means information about an identifiable individual.
“We” or “Us” means AA Smartfuel Limited
Collection of information
We, Participating Enterprises, or other parties acting on our behalf, may collect personal information from you and your additional cardholders (if applicable), in a number of ways. This includes when you:
- Indicate an interest in, take a service from or receive a benefit from Us. This may include your contact details, date of birth, and transaction details
- Contact Us directly or indirectly with an enquiry, or in response to a communication from Us, in which case this may tell Us something about your preferences.
- Take a product or service from a Participating Enterprise or third-party and receive a discount or benefit through your relationship with Us.
Access to and use of information
What We will do
We, or other parties acting on our behalf, may access, use or disclose your personal information for Approved Purposes, including:
- Providing you with products, services and benefits
- Assisting Us to identify you when you contact Us to make an enquiry. You may be asked identity verification questions.
- Responding to enquiries from you
- Administration, database maintenance and contact about improvements to any accounts, services and products provided by Us or Participating Enterprises previously, now or in the future
- Communicating with you by any means (including mail, email, telephone, text messages, social media or digital advertising) for marketing and promotional purposes, where We think you would appreciate receiving an offer from Us or Participating Enterprises, or when the offer is made available through your association with Us
- Carrying out research, marketing analysis, profiling and creating statistical and testing information in order to personalise and/or improve any products, services or benefits available to Our customers
- Monitoring and recording communications We receive. This may be done for:
- identifying improvements to the products and services which We provide
- ensuring compliance with Our practices and procedures
- to provide evidence of a transaction or contract entered into.
What We won't do
Unless you have agreed otherwise, We will not:
- Send you communications that We do not believe are related to your relationship with Us
- Disclose your personal information to other parties who do not need it for the purposes described in this policy
- Sell/rent contact information lists to parties who do not need it for the purposes described in this policy
When you first provide contact information to Us, We will often give you the opportunity to indicate whether you would prefer not to be contacted for marketing purposes. However, you can send Us an email at any time to change your preferences or use the unsubscribe or preferences links at the bottom of any of Our direct marketing email communications.
Note that your communication preferences may need to be separately updated with the Us and Participating Enterprises.
Additionally, if you use the same email address as another subscriber, for instance when you subscribe email address also used by another family member, your unsubscribe request will apply to you personally, and will not unsubscribe others receiving Our emails at the same email address.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose information We hold about you to Our agents, affiliates, related companies, service providers, Participating Enterprises or third parties:
for one of the Approved Purpose
where we are assisting a party to contact you about an entitlement you are due in respect of products or services you have requested of them
- As part of the process of sale of one or more of Our businesses
- Where legitimately requested or required for legal or regulatory purposes
- As part of legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings or
- Otherwise with your consent.
Protection of information
We maintain strict security measures in order to protect your personal information. The procedures are constantly monitored and updated in accordance with the latest technology.
We may hold personal information overseas and in cloud storage where We are satisfied that the relevant providers and jurisdictions meet our security standards.
Our websites and mobile applications
Cookies are pieces of information that a website or application transfers to your device’s hard disk for record keeping purposes. They help Us to understand how visitors use Our Websites so We can develop and improve the design, layout and functionality of Our Websites.
We may match your cookies information to what we know about you for analysis and advertising purposes. If you do not want us to deploy cookies into your browser, you can set your browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when a website tries to put a cookie on your computer. However, rejecting cookies may affect your ability to use some of the products and/or services on Our Websites.
Additional Data Collection on Mobile Applications
When you use our mobile applications, we will gather and use additional information including:
- Location Data
- Device information including IP address, other apps installed on your device, device model, operating system, battery status and network status.
Contacting us about your privacy
PO Box 5
This Policy applies to personal information held about individuals. It does not apply to information We hold about companies and other organisations. The Office of the Privacy Commissioner has further details of the New Zealand Privacy Act and how it protects personal information in New Zealand.
If you require further information as it relates to a Participating Enterprise’s Privacy management, please refer to the information provided by that organisation.