Visiting Members of affiliated overseas AAA and FIA automobile clubs receive reciprocal roadside assistance and breakdown service when travelling in New Zealand.
Last year, we reached 60% of vehicle breakdowns within 30 minutes and 90% of vehicle breakdowns within the hour.
Your auto club Membership entitles you to up to six free callouts during your visit to New Zealand including:
- Jump-starting your vehicle
- Testing your battery and organising a replacement battery if necessary*
- Getting access to your vehicle if you're locked out
- Changing your wheel
- Free delivery of fuel if you run out (you pay for the fuel)
- Expert advice and diagnosis
- Free temporary side glass replacement*
- Organising a windscreen chip or crack repair*
- Plus free maps and guides available at AA Centres
In most cases we'll fix the problem at the roadside and have you safely on your way. We'll provide you with expert advice and, if extra support is needed, we'll tow your car to the nearest place of safety or repair.*
Register with the AA when you arrive
We recommend that you register your details with the AA on your arrival in New Zealand to allow us to help you as quickly as possible should you need assistance on your travels. You can do this by calling us on the number below, or visiting your nearest AA Centre where you can also pick up free maps and guides, book accommodation, pick up an AA Smartfuel card to receive fuel discounts, or book an AA Thrifty rental car.
Find your nearest AA Centre or call us on 0800 500 444.
What you need at the roadside
Please make sure you have your auto club Membership card with you. We can't provide AA Roadservice assistance without seeing this card. We'll also ask you for a second form of ID to confirm your identity. It's just our way of making sure we're giving your reciprocal service benefits to the right person.
About AA Roadservice
AA Service Response Centre
- Our national AA Service Response Centre operates 24/7.
- Our call centre is equipped with state of the art electronic mapping systems which help pinpoint your location quickly and accurately.
- If we're delayed, this is generally because of a remote location, bad weather or heavy traffic, and we will advise you.
AA Call Centre staff
- Our staff are trained customer service professionals with excellent knowledge of New Zealand geography.
- On average, we take 660,000 calls for assistance each year.
AA Roadservice team
- Our AA Roadservice staff are fully qualified and very experienced.
- Our team covers New Zealand's main metropolitan and provincial areas.
- To support our nationwide coverage, we also use a network of approximately 400 AA Roadservice contractors who have over 1,200 staff who will work with us to help you.
*Terms & Conditions
- Roadside assistance callouts in excess of six will be charged at $60 (including GST) per callout.
Battery and windscreen chip/repair service available in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and most provincial areas.
No charge for roadside attendance and/or towing to nearest contract garage. Payment required for additional towing and repairs or any spare parts supplied.
Where a contract garage attends, the Member will pay the full charges, and on presentation of their Membership card and contract garage invoice at an NZAA office, a refund will be arranged for the Member.
Services available for a maximum visit of six months from date of arrival into New Zealand.