- Have you held a full NZ driver licence for at least two years?
- Do you enjoy meeting and working with people?
- Do you enjoy driving?
- Would you like to have responsibility and run your own business?
- Can you commit to learning and maintain a continuous approach to personal development?
A career as a driving instructor could be perfect for you!
Why the AA is the right choice
Approved by the NZ Transport Agency, the "I" Endorsement Driving Instructor Training Course from the AA is based on NZQA unit standards and includes:
- Pre-course reading (essential for your success)
- In-class theory-based training and assessments
- Demonstrations and practical in-vehicle coaching techniques
- Practical appraisals of your tuition and assessment skills
Once you've successfully passed this course, you’ll be able to apply to get the driving instructor endorsement (called an "I" endorsement) on your driver licence and start work as a driving instructor.
Driving instructor course enrolment
You'll need to have held a full New Zealand driver licence for two years or more.
Once you've passed the course you'll need to be assessed by NZ Police as a 'fit and proper person' to act as an instructor. The NZ Transport Agency coordinates this vetting process. If you have any concerns about this, you can discuss this with us - or the NZ Transport Agency - prior to enrolling in the course.
If you hold an overseas licence and would like to attend the course, please call NZ Transport Agency on 0800 822 422 to find out further information.
Your course fee covers all aspects of the course, including:
- Pre-course reading material
- Training manuals
- Road codes
- Theory test papers
- New Zealand Drivers' Training Syllabus
- Mirror and backing board
You'll also need to apply for the "I" endorsement through the NZ Transport Agency when you pass the course. It's an extra cost which includes application and vetting fees. You will need to sit and pass a practical driving test and you may need a medical examination. Other additional costs include the cost of receiving your Fit and Proper assessment by the NZ Police.
To find out more, request an information pack.
The AA offers two "I" endorsement driving instructor course options:
- A structured two week classroom based course at our Auckland venue. This includes in-class teaching, and practical in-vehicle coaching and appraisal at a cost of $3,795 + gst.
- A correspondence course with an initial introductory day at our Auckland location. This gives you the flexibility to choose your own pace and structure to complete the course over a three month period at a cost of $3,995 + gst.
After the course
You'll have an in-depth knowledge of New Zealand's driver licensing system, road rules and an overview of the legal aspects governing the driver training industry.
Once qualified, you might consider joining our national AA Driving School and become an AA Driving Instructor. Learn about becoming an AA Driving Instructor.
Two week "I" endorsement course
|8.30am - 5.00pm||June 13 2014|
Mon 4 - Fri 15 Aug
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Jul 11 2014|
Mon 1 - Fri 12 Sep
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Aug 8 2014|
Mon 6 - Fri 17 Oct
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Sep 12 2014|
Mon 3 - Fri 14 Nov
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Oct 10 2014|
Mon 1 - Fri 12 Dec
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Nov 7 2014|
Mon 15 - Fri 26 Sept
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Aug 15 Aug|
"I" endorsement correspondence course
Tues 29 July
|8.30am - 5.00pm||July 21 2014|
Tues 19 Aug
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Aug 11 2014|
Tues 16 Sept
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Sept 08 2014|
|8.30am - 5.00pm||July 2014|
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Sept 2014|
|8.30am - 5.00pm||Oct 2014|