Up to 43% of breakdowns we attend are battery related. If your car sounds like it's struggling to start, call AA Battery Service. Our mobile battery replacement service is available in most areas, or you can head down to your local AA Battery stockist.
Need a battery? Get an instant quote
Find a battery stockist
Benefits of using AA Battery Service
- Our comprehensive range covers most vehicles, including those with stop-start systems
- New Zealand-wide warranty of up to 3 years
- AA Members save $25
- We can come to you and install
- We'll remove your old battery to be recycled and give you a $10 rebate
4WD battery benefits
- Heavy duty batteries are tough and built to last
- Fully sealed, maintenance free technology eliminates acid leakage
- Expanded grid technology ensures consistent grid quality
- Increased electrolyte volume prevents overheating
- Hot melt glue over plates prevents vibration damage
- Higher cold cranking amps provide greater starting power
- Carry handle for easy installation and removal
Car battery types explained
There are many car battery types available to match different models of cars.
Calcium batteries are the most common battery fitted to vehicles.
In a calcium battery, a small amount of calcium is added to the lead plates to increase durability of the battery. Our Calcium batteries also have silver added to the plates to increase the cranking power and overall efficiency.
Benefits of a calcium battery:
- High cold cranking amps
- Longer shelf and service life (compared to hybrid batteries)
- Maintenance free
AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) are a high performance battery which are able endure the increased demands of modern vehicles.
Benefits of an AGM battery:
- Higher durability and cycle life when compared to a calcium battery
- High charge acceptance which is critical for modern battery management systems
- Leak-proof and spill-proof
- Excellent starting power, so you can rely on the engine starting – even at a low state of charge
- Maintenance free
The EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) uses some design features of the AGM battery to deliver a design that is able to cycle deeper and accept higher charge rates. The EFB is commonly used in entry level stop-start vehicles.
Gelled batteries, or "gel cells" contain a jelly-like substance which is due to silica gel being added to the acid. The advantage of these batteries is that it is impossible to spill acid even if they are broken. The disadvantage is that they must be charged at a slower charge rate to prevent overheating. They cannot be fast charged on a conventional automotive charger or they may be permanently damaged. Gel batteries are often found in golf buggies, back up for house alarms and electric toys.
Stop-Start technology switches off a car's engine when the vehicle is stopped, for example while at a red light or in a traffic jam. This delivers between 5% and 10% lower emissions, and a similar improvement in fuel economy.
Stop-Start vehicles are fitted with either an EFB or AGM battery, as they are able to cope with the higher loads and constant cycling experienced in a Stop Start vehicle. It is important that the correct type of battery is installed in these vehicles to ensure the Stop-Start system operates correctly.
Replacing one of these batteries with a calcium battery will result in the vehicle deactivating the Stop-Start system, and will also result in premature failure of the incorrect battery. Many major manufacturers now utilise Stop Start technology, including BMW (EfficientDynamics), (BlueMotion) and Mazda (SKYACTIV).
AA Battery Service is constantly expanding its range of AGM Stop-Start batteries to meet growing demand as this technology becomes more commonplace.
Battery warranty periods
Our warranty periods vary depending on the battery type and what it's used for:
- Three year warranty applies to all Premium batteries for private use vehicles.
- Two year warranty applies to all extra heavy duty, AGM and EFB batteries for private use vehicles
- One year warranty applies to all commercial fitments
- 6 month warranty applies to courier fitments
- 3 month warranty applies to taxi fitments