Ask an expert


I'm looking into buying a vehicle in nz and driving back to the uk, where I would intend on permanently importing it. How would that work with regards a carnet de passage? Would I lodge an import application with the uk prior to leaving and therefore not use a carnet?


A Carnet de Passage is for a vehicle that will be returning to New Zealand. If you are not planning to return the vehicle to New Zealand, you cannot use a CDP.
You would need to check with the UK authorities to make sure the vehicle you intend to take to the UK will be eligible to import there, so, apologies but I am unable to answer that part of your question.