By early 2021, all new Fords will come installed with FordPass Connect, which uses an in-car modem to pair with your smartphone to allow you to connect to your vehicle like never before.
This was all announced by Ford New Zealand to the motoring community in an invite only Zoom call on Thursday, 16 July 2020.
For now, the technology is available in the new Ford Ranger, Ford Everest and Ford Transit models.
If your new Ford model comes standard with this new technology, all you need to do is download the FordPass app for free on the Google Play or App Store.
When used together, key features of FordPass and FordPass Connect include:
- Vehicle Status and Remote Vehicle Monitoring: Through the FordPass app’s Vehicle Status feature, owners can check their vehicle’s key variables including fuel level, tyre pressures (where digital read-out tyre pressure monitoring system is fitted) and mileage through the convenience of their smartphone.
- Remote Start and Stop: Using the FordPass app, drivers can start their vehicle’s engine from home, the office or elsewhere via smartphone, enabling the vehicle’s cabin to commence heating or cooling to the last known setting. This helps ensure a cool, comfortable interior on a hot summer day, or a de-iced, warmed and inviting vehicle in winter. The vehicle is ready to be driven once the driver arrives with the key.
- Remote Lock and Unlock: Drivers can lock and unlock their Ford remotely, meaning they don’t have to rush back to their cars to check if they have remembered to lock their doors. This also allows drivers to let passengers into their vehicle regardless of whether they are there or not.
- Live Traffic Updates: The Live Traffic Update capability delivers ongoing, instant traffic updates to provide more accurate, convenient navigation in congested areas. It includes comprehensive traffic information, and offers an alternate route when detecting congestion and heavy traffic conditions.
- Vehicle Locator: Courtesy of a map and location tracker in the FordPass app, drivers can find their way back to their vehicle in a busy parking area without the need to remember exactly where they parked it. This is even more convenient where you share your vehicle with one or more members of your household.
- Vehicle Health Alerts: The FordPass app capability extends to Vehicle Health Alerts, which can be sent directly to a smart device pre-empting service needs, general maintenance such as a washer fluid low alert, and more. The alert is designed to identify specific issues and even recommend a course of action.
Tesla have used similar technology over the past couple of years, and earlier this month, Apple announced the BMW Digital Key, which allows BMW drivers to use their iPhone or Apple Watch to unlock their car, and even share it with up to five of your friends (make sure you choose carefully!).
We wonder which manufacturer will be next to adopt this technology…