The AA’s Taranaki District Council represents AA Members living from Waverley in the south to Mokau in the north.
Working on behalf of AA Members
Sharing the road with cyclists
From late 2017 the AA District Council has been encouraging motorists to share the road carefully with cyclists through a roadside billboard project and working alongside road controlling authorities.
Mt Messenger bypass
The Taranaki AA is very pleased that an announcement to proceed with a bypass of Mt Messenger was made in August 2017.
The AA is actively interested in this project contributing by providing Waka Kotahi-NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) with questions and comments aimed at ensuring the best possible project outcome for motorists.
Contributing to Taranaki's future plans
The Taranaki AA District Council is proactive in making submissions to improve roads in Taranaki, particularly improvements to SH3 north.
Awakino to Mt Messenger Project
The District Council is involved in consultation on the Awakino to Mt Messenger Project.
The AA is liaising with Taranaki road controlling authorities as they revisit speed management (including speed limits) on their roads. We believe any change must 'make sense' to motorists - simply putting up a new sign with a lower limit often doesn't result in the speed reductions wanted.
Sealing SH43 - the Forgotten World Highway
The Taranaki AA District Council continues to support the sealing of the remaining 12.5km of SH43 – The Forgotten World Highway – which is both a popular tourist route and an important alternative route in and out of Taranaki.
Find out more about our work
Highlights from latest meeting (July 2021)
- NZAA CEO Mr Brian Gibbons and NZAA President Mr Gary Stocker attended our June 2021 meeting.
- Sadly our Hawera AA Centre had their last trading day on the 30 of June 2021. There is still an Agency in Hawera for any Motor Vehicle or Driver Licensing transactions, IRD, Real Me or SuperGold Card transactions, as well as paying AA Membership or obtaining local maps. Any Insurance inquires will now need to be handled by visiting either the New Plymouth or Whanganui AA Centres or calling AA Insurance directly on 0800 500 213.
- Our AA Councillor Ralph Broad is now representing the AA at Taranaki Regional Council meetings.
- AA Councillor John Sutton is representing AA Member interests on the Waka Kotahi SH3 New Plymouth to Egmont Village project.
The District Councillors are:
- John Maxwell (Chairperson, National Councillor)
- Marion Webby (Vice Chairperson)
- Graham O’Brien
- John Sutton
- Kieran Best
- Harry Duynhoven
- Denise Holmes
- Ralph Broad
- Wayne Benton
- Gavin Lysaght
100 years of the AA in Taranaki
In late 2014 the AA marked its 100th anniversary in Taranaki. A booklet was produced celebrating the history of the AA in the region.
AA Taranaki Strategic Priorities (2020)
Contacts for AA Members
District Manager: Fiona Croot, New Plymouth AA Centre
Urgent road maintenance: If you notice road maintenance issues that need immediate attention, please contact either:
- State highway maintenance - contact Waka Kotahi-NZ Transport Agency - 0800 44 44 49 (0800 4 HIGHWAYS)
- Local road maintenance - contact Taranaki Regional Council - 0800 736 222