An IDP can only be issued to a full licence holder who is over 18 years of age. It is not available for commercial use. Most countries allow you to use an IDP for a maximum of 12 months.
You must also carry your current New Zealand's driver licence with you when you travel. For security reasons, we recommend your IDP and New Zealand driver licence are kept separately when travelling.
An IDP cannot be used:
- Permanently in another country. The IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. If you become a permanent resident in another country, contact the local authority about a driver's licence.
- On a working holiday. It is for touring or holiday purposes only. If you start work in another country, contact the local licensing authority about a driver's licence.
Apply for an IDP
You'll need to organise this before you travel overseas. There are three ways to apply - and if you need a passport photo taken, you can do it at an AA Centre. AA Members receive a discount.
You can apply through our online application form.
- Scans of both sides of your current New Zealand driver’s licence in JPG format, approximately 85mm wide by 55mm high at a resolution of 300dpi (please note: old New Zealand paper licences are not accepted)
- A scan of a recent I.D. photograph*
- A credit card payment of NZ $30 plus delivery - make sure you select the delivery method you prefer on the form
At your nearest AA Centre or AA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agent
- Your current New Zealand driver's licence (please note: old New Zealand paper licences are not accepted)
- A recent passport-sized photograph taken with a plain background. You can have a passport photo taken at an AA Centre - AA Members receive a discount
- To pay a $20 fee
- A good quality photocopy of the front and back of your New Zealand driver's licence (please note: old New Zealand paper licences are not accepted)
- A recent passport-sized photograph taken with a plain background*
- To pay a $30 fee (includes postage and processing)
- To provide your phone number or email address in case we need to contact you
* It must be taken with a plain background in JPG format, between 35-45mm wide and 45-55mm high at a resolution of 300dpi. This size ensures an acceptable quality photo can be reproduced.
** If you are paying by cheque, please make payable to NZAA Inc. or provide your credit card details. For overseas applications a bank draft or credit card is required.
Receiving your IDP
When your application has been received and processed we will send your IDP via the delivery option you selected.
For New Zealand addresses, you'll receive your IDP within three to five working days. For all overseas addresses, you'll receive your IDP within 14 working days, depending on the delivery method you choose.
The AA accepts no liability for the free replacement of any correctly addressed document once it has been delivered to a postal or courier service for onward delivery.
Should the document be lost and not received, completion of a new application form and payment of another processing fee will be applicable.
Countries that accept IDPs
International Driving Permits are valid for one year from date of issue. However the period during which an IDP is recognised for each visit may vary in some countries. The AA takes all steps to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this table, however requirements may change without warning and specific restrictions may apply.
We recommend you check with the club or local authority in the country you're planning to visit either prior to or on arrival to ensure you have the most up to date information.
|A - C||Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Aguila (1), Angola, Antigua, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain (1,2), Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia (1,2), Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada (1,2), Cape Verde Islands, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo Dem Rep., The Cook Islands (1), Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic|
|D - F||Denmark, Dijibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France & French Overseas Depts., French Polynesia|
|G - I||Gambia (1), Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Gabon, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy|
|J - L||Jamaica (2), Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati (1), Korea (Rep.), Kuwait (1), Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho (1), Liberia, Libya, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg|
|M - O||Macao, Macedonia (FYROM), Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar (1), Namibia, Nepal (1), Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua (1), Niger, Norway, Oman|
|P - R||Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines (1), Poland, Portugal (inc Madeira & the Azores) (1), Qatar (1), Russia, Romania (1), Rwanda|
|S - U||San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore (1), Slovakia, Slovenia (3), South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, St Kitts & Nevis, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad & Tobago (1), Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay|
|V - W||Vatican City, Venezuela, Windward Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe|
- Certain conditions or time restrictions apply
- For private vehicles only
- Only if country of residence does not issue 1968 IDPs
Countries that do not accept IDPs
Tonga, China, Samoa and Niue do not accept IDPs or current New Zealand driving licences. However a Visitor's Driving Licence can be obtained after arrival. You will be required to provide a current New Zealand driving licence to the authorities and pay a Visitor's Driving Licence fee.