Driving instructor training

If you want to teach people how to drive on a road for financial or commercial gain, you must have a current driving instructor endorsement on your driver licence. This is called an I Endorsement.

The AA is an NZTA-approved I Endorsement course provider.

Why choose the AA

We are New Zealand's most experienced motoring organisation with more than 100 years of driving experience. We have a great reputation for quality, dependability and trust, so you've come to the right place to start your career, purchasing an AA Driving Instructor franchise.

We run courses in Auckland and Wellington every month. Places fill  quickly so don't delay in registering your interest.


AA instructors and tutors

There are franchise opportunities for driving instructors to own their own business and partner with the AA, whether you have an I Endorsement or need to attend a course first.

We also need tutors to deliver our defensive driving courses for students and experienced drivers.


What you can earn

It's entirely up to you how much you can earn. It depends on how many lessons a day you deliver and if you also want to be a DDC tutor. You do have some costs to consider: your AA licence fee, your car lease and running costs.

You'll find more information about all of this in this section. If you need to talk to to someone, call 0800 723 239.

You've come to the right place to train to be a driving instructor and get your I endorsement.

Become part of a great team by becoming an AA driving instructor

Get satisfaction from teaching students and experienced drivers to be safe