Overseas licence conversions

If you have a driver licence from another country, you can apply for a New Zealand driver licence. Overseas licence conversions can be done at selected AA Licensing Agents. 

Find AA Licensing Agent on map

Find AA Licensing Agent from list

Download fact sheet in English

Fact sheets are also available in simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese  and in Hindi

Please read the below requirements and conditions for converting to a New Zealand licence. First check if your licence is from an approved country or not.

Why you need a New Zealand driver licence

How to convert to a New Zealand licence

Important information

Licences from approved countries

Requirements for licences from other countries

If you have no driver licence


Why you need a New Zealand driver licence

If you are in New Zealand for more than a year, or are driving for non-touring related purposes, you will need a New Zealand driver licence to drive a vehicle. 

Your overseas licence with an International Driving Permit for travelling is valid for a maximum of 12 months in New Zealand.


How to convert to a New Zealand licence

You can apply to convert to a New Zealand licence if you have your licence with you and if it is valid or expired within the last 12 months. You can do this at an AA Licensing Agent that does Overseas Licence Conversions.

Find AA Licensing Agent

You'll need to:

  • Bring your overseas driver licence. If your license does not have an issue date, you may need to provide further evidence of your driving record. A licence not in English will need translation by approved translator.

List of approved translators

  • Complete the application form. You can get the form at the AA Licensing agent or print it, fill it in and bring it to the agent.

Download application for conversion of overseas licence

  • Bring your overseas passport as evidence of identity
  • Bring colour photocopies of your passport and driver licence
  • Bring a medical certificate if applicable

Check if you need a medical certificate

  • Pass an eyesight screening check or provide a current eyesight/ medical certificate

About the eyesight screening check

  • Pay the applicable licence fee

Check licence fees


Important information

Applications for overseas licence conversions are processed at AA Licensing Agent counters and are approved by Waka Kotahi NZTA. The approval may take up to 20 working days.

Upon approval, Waka Kotahi NZTA will issue and send you a New Zealand driver licence. You will be contacted if there is a delay in approving your application. 

Once you have been issued a New Zealand driver licence your overseas licence and International Driving Permit are no longer valid in New Zealand.

If your overseas licence is from the list of approved countries, you will be issued with a temporary licence that you can use to drive a car until you receive your real licence. If your licence is from another country, you will receive a temporary licence as soon as you pass the theory test.

If you have not received your driver licence from Waka Kotahi NZTA withing 20 working days, and have not been informed of a delay, please contact:

Waka Kotahi NZTA Driver Licensing Helpline: 0800 822 422


Licences from approved countries

If you have had a full/complete driver licence for two or more years from the below countries, you can apply and convert to a New Zealand licence without any test.

  • Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong*, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, USA (*Hong Kong is recognised as a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China).


Requirements for licences from other countries

If you have a full driver licence from another country then you will have to take a theory and practical test.

Step 1

Pass a theory test that will test your knowledge of road rules as outlined in the New Zealand Road Code. You can book and do this test at an AA Licensing Agent. If you pass this test you will receive a New Zealand driver licence with the condition that you can only drive with a supervisor. 

About the New Zealand Road Code

Online AA Road Code Practice Test

Find AA Licensing Agent to book theory test

Step 2:

Once you have passed the theory test, you will need to do an in-car practical test. You can book and pay for this test at an AA Licensing Agent. Please note that the actual test location will be different from the AA Licensing Agent location.

Driving lessons at AA to improve driving skills

Practice driving test with an AA Driving Instructor


If you have no driver licence

If you do not have any driver licence you will need to go through the New Zealand graduated driver licensing system of a learner, restricted and full licence. The first step in this process is to get a learner licence.

About the learner licence

overseas licence conversions

For any questions about driver licensing rules or restrictions, please call the Waka Kotahi NZTA Driver Licensing helpline on 0800 822 422.