Licensing, safety & fees

Once you own a car, it needs to be warranted, registered and licensed.

Running costs like petrol are a big consideration, so we'll help you keep up with the fluctuations through AA PetrolWatch.

If you need to tow a trailer, refer to our towing weights tables to find out the weights for your car.

Warrant of Fitness (WoF)

A Warrant of Fitness is not just about getting a sticker for your car, motorcycle or trailer. It’s about safety. Get your independent assessment at the AA.

Safety check

The AA Safety Check is a basic health check of your vehicle by an automotive professional and includes items that commonly lead to vehicles failing their WoFs.

Register & license your car

The AA provides one location to go to for car registration & licensing. Find out what you need to register or licence a car, change car ownership & more.

Export or import your car

Find out how to export or import your car. The AA can give the best advice, whether you are taking your car overseas or bringing your car to New Zealand.

Road user charges

The AA would like changes made to the Road User Charges system so there is more equal charging of diesel & petrol vehicles, and vehicles using other fuels.

Understanding ACC levies

The amount you pay for your vehicle licence varies for a number of reasons. The main one is changes in the ACC levy which is based on relative accident risk.

New! Our navigation has changed.

Use this button to access the site content.

 |  Learn more