Motorcycle licensing

To ride a motorcycle, you need a motorcycle licence. There are three types of motorcycle licences - learner, restricted and full licence. 

(Please note: As of 1 July 2023 AA Driving School does not offer motorcycle training and assessment anymore. If you are interested in booking motorcycle training and assessment after that date, please see the Waka Kotahi NZTA website for approved motorcycle training and assessment providers.)

The process to get a motorcycle licence is different from getting a licence to drive a car. Please see below for more information about the process. 

At your nearest AA Driver Licensing Agent you can:

  • Apply for your motorcycle learner licence and sit the theory test
  • Apply for your motorcycle restricted licence
  • Apply for your motorcycle full licence

Find AA Licensing Agent on map

Find AA Licensing Agent from list

Motorcycle learner licence

You must be at least 16 years old to apply for your motorcycle learner licence. There are two main steps:

1. Complete basic handling skills test (BHST) with a motorcycle instructor.

Recommended training and assessment providers

2. Sit learner licence test

Once you have completed a basic handling skills test, you will need to take your learner licence theory test.

Practice for the learner licence test

You can book, pay for and sit the test at any AA Licensing Agent around New Zealand.

Motorcycle restricted licence

For a motorcycle restricted licence you will need to successfully complete the competency-based training and assessment (CBTA) to apply for your licence.

If you have your motorcycle learner licence, there is no minimum time before you can apply for your motorcycle restricted licence. You need to be at least 16.5 years of age before applying though.

To book a CBTA or motorcycle riding lessons, we recommend contacting an approved motorcycle instructor.

Recommended motorcycle training and assessment providers

Motorcycle full licence

To apply for the motorcycle full licence, you will need to successfully complete a competency-based training and assessment (CBTA).

For enquiries about booking the CBTA for a full licence or general motorcycle riding lessons, we recommend contacting an approved motorcycle instructor.

Recommended motorcycle training and assessment providers

Subsidised rider training and coaching - please see Ride Forever website for more information.

From learning how to stay safe on your daily commute to practicing advanced riding techniques, there's a Ride Forever course that will suit you. Ride Forever courses also support Waka Kotahi NZTA's Competency-based Training and Assessment requirements for licensing.


Come to your nearest AA Licensing Agent to apply for, renew and replace your licence - we are in 70+ locations around New Zealand!

Learn more

Learn to drive with AA Driving School - lessons and training for all licence levels, from learner to experienced fully licensed drivers

Learn more

Discover the Benefits you can access with your AA Membership - on the road as well as for health, entertainment and more!

Learn more