Election Calls 2017
In the lead up to the 2017 NZ General Election, the AA calls on all political parties to commit to 10 actions to improve the safety and efficiency of New Zealand’s roads over the coming three years.
Election Calls 2014
The AA is calling for all political parties to commit to 15 actions to improve New Zealand’s transport system.
What we are calling for
- Fair, consistent and predictable speed limits
- 110km/h limits on our 4-star motorways
- Make speed cameras more effective
- Add flashing signs to school buses
- Review the alcohol interlock programme
- Introduce saliva-based roadside drug testing
- An extra 200km of median barriers or safety treatments
- Make cycling safer
- Car safety information at point of sale
- Replace RUC with a diesel excise tax
- Dedicate traffic fines to road safety improvements
- Fair rules for private parking
- Continue the RoNS programme
- Invest in regional highways
- Improve public transport in Auckland
For us to grow and thrive as a nation we need to have a transport system that is safe, effective and affordable.
We can do much more to improve road safety, get maximum use out of our roads, and ensure the costs of motoring are fair. The AA is also calling for actions to improve cycling safety and provide economically sustainable public transport choices.
Driving is the way 80% of New Zealanders get themselves to work and home, take their kids to school, go to the shops, and visit their friends and family. The changes we are calling for will make a real difference in the everyday lives of our 1.4 million Members.