1. Mount Manaia Track, Northland
How long will it take? This is a 3.5km, two to three hour return walk.
A steady climb through regenerating native bush to the summit of Mount Manaia rewards you with breathtaking views of the dramatic entrance to Whangarei Harbour.
- One of the most dramatic harbour entrances in New Zealand
- Spectacular view from the Bluff lookout to Bream Head and the Hen and Chicken Islands
Whangarei Heads ans its Mount Manaia 🌴🙌 steep track but the view worth the effort ! 😁 . . . . #nz #newzealand #nature #french #frenchtraveler #pvt #pvtistes #whv #lifestyle #instatravel #instadaily #picoftheday #voyage #travel #happiness #discovering #holidays #nzmustdo #newzealandguide #travelnewzealand #destinationnz #mountmanaia #whangareiheads #northland #whangarei #walk #clearwaters
2. Mangawhai Cliffs Walkway, Northland
How long will it take? This is a 5km, two to three hour return walk.
The rugged beauty of New Zealand’s coast unfolds with panoramic views offering spectacular photo opportunities along this walk from the shoreline to the clifftops.
- Unique rock formations
- Opportunity to see passing whales and schools of sharks
3. Rangitoto Summit Track, Auckland
How long will it take? This is a 7km, two hour return walk.
An easy climb through pōhutukawa forest and lava fields gives way to panoramic views of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf from the summit of this volcanic island.
- Well-formed paths through lava fields
- World's largest pōhutukawa forest to the peak at 259 m above sea level
- In the 1920s and 1930s, prisoners built 19 km of hand-packed tracks and roads
- Bach 39 Museum at Rangitoto Wharf, open by appointment
4. Cathedral Cove Walk, Coromandel
How long will it take? This is a 2.5km, one hour 30 minute return walk.
Stunning views of the Coromandel coast guide you on this well maintained/well marked walk to the dramatic cliffs and iconic rock archway of Cathedral Cove.
- Distinctive coastal landform features with dramatic cliffs and archway
- Take a guided boat/kayak tour to see the amazing views and hear rich commentary about historical, cultural and ecological significance of the area. The tour includes the Te Whanganui-A-Hei marine reserve.
5. Wainui Falls Track, Nelson Tasman
How long will it take? This is a 3.4km, one hour 20 minute return walk.
A short walk through lush native bush leads to the cascading Wainui Falls, the largest and most accessible falls in Golden Bay/Mohua.
- Giant snail (Powelliphanta)
- Wainui Falls
🌐📍Wainui Falls, Abel Tasman National Park, NZ #newzealand #nz #travelnewzealand #travelnz #southisland #southislandnz #wainui #wainuinz #wainuifalls #waterfall #waterfalls #abeltasman #abeltasmannationalpark #goldenbay #goldenbaynz #explorenz #discovernewzealand #nzmustdo #nzimagery #newzealandfinds #wanderlustofnz #purenewzealand #purenz #newzealandguide #newzealandvacations @wanderlustofnz @purenewzealand @newzealandguide @newzealandvacations
6. Charming Creek Walkway, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 9.5km, two to three hour walk, one way.
Scenery and history combine in this walk along an historic bush tramway, with spectacular vistas up and down the Ngākawau Gorge, alongside an unfolding view of the Mangatini Falls.
- Mangatini Falls
- Views of Upper Ngākawau Gorge
- Remnants of sawmilling and mining history
7. Cape Foulwind Walkway, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 3.4km, one hour 15 minute walk, one way.
A seal colony, a lighthouse and panoramic views of mountains and coastline feature on this spectacular coastal walkway.
- New Zealand fur seal/kekeno breeding colony, panoramic views of mountains and coastline
- Cape Foulwind lighthouse
8. Devils Punchbowl Walking Track, Canterbury
How long will it take? This is a 2km, one hour return walk.
Feel the full force and sound of fresh mountain water falling 131m down one of New Zealand's most stunning waterfalls.
- Spectacular waterfall
- Lush beech forest
9. Kura Tāwhiti Access Track, Canterbury
How long will it take? This is a 1.4km, 20 minute return walk to the natural rock formations.
Wander through majestic limestone rock formations and reflect on the significance of Kura Tāwhiti to Ngāi Tahu as the treasure from a distant land.
- Distinctive limestone rock formations
- Castle Hill buttercup
10. Lake Matheson/Te Ara Kairaumati Walk, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 2.6km, one hour 30 minute loop walk.
A gentle walk through native forest leads to the picturesque shore of Lake Matheson, with Aoraki/Mount Cook and Mount Tasman brilliantly reflected in its still waters.
- Reflections of Aoraki/Mt Cook on the lake
11. Fox Glacier/Te Ara o Tuawe Valley Walk, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 2.6km, one hour return walk.
Get spectacular views of Fox Glacier/Te Moeka o Tuawe on this short, easy walk that's suitable for children – kids can earn a Kiwi Guardians medal here too!
- Views of the impressive glacier
Experiencing the spectacular views along the Fox Glacier / Te Ara o Tuawe Valley Walk on the West Coast of the South Island. It’s a short, easy walk that is suitable for most ages and fitness levels. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Enjoy some of our best short walks – there’s something for everyone: www.doc.govt.nz/shortwalks
12. Blue Lakes and Tasman Glacier View, Canterbury
How long will it take? This is a 2.7km, 40 minute return walk.
A short walk that rewards with views of the dramatic alpine landscape, icebergs floating on the glacier lake and New Zealand's longest glacier, the mighty Haupapa/Tasman Glacier.
- The 27km Tasman glacier is the longest in New Zealand
- The rifleman, New Zealand's smallest bird
13. Blue Pools Track, Southern Lakes
How long will it take? This is a 1.5km, one hour return walk.
Nestled among mature beech and podocarp forest, these pools of deep, clear water flowing into the Makarora River offer a moment of tranquillity.
- Views up the river gorge
- Listen for the yellowhead/mohua
14. Lake Gunn Nature Walk, Fiordland
How long will it take? This is a 1.4km, 45 minute loop walk.
Experience wild Fiordland as you wander through red beech forest, enjoying glimpses of the birdlife of the Eglinton valley, Lake Gunn and the surrounding mountains.
- Majestic landscape of the Divide of the Southern Alps