1. Mount Manaia Track, Northland
How long will it take? This is a 3.5km, two to three-hour return walk.
A steady climb through regenerating native bush to the summit of Mount Manaia rewards you with breathtaking views of the dramatic entrance to Whangārei Harbour.
- One of the most dramatic harbour entrances in New Zealand
- Spectacular view from the Bluff lookout to Bream Head and the Hen and Chicken Islands
Whangarei Heads ans its Mount Manaia 🌴🙌 steep track but the view worth the effort ! 😁 . . . . #nz #newzealand #nature #french #frenchtraveler #pvt #pvtistes #whv #lifestyle #instatravel #instadaily #picoftheday #voyage #travel #happiness #discovering #holidays #nzmustdo #newzealandguide #travelnewzealand #destinationnz #mountmanaia #whangareiheads #northland #whangarei #walk #clearwaters
2. Mangawhai Cliffs Walkway, Northland
How long will it take? This is a 5km, two to three-hour return walk.
The rugged beauty of New Zealand’s coast unfolds with panoramic views offering spectacular photo opportunities along this walk from the shoreline to the clifftops.
- Unique rock formations
- Opportunity to see passing whales and schools of sharks
3. Rangitoto Summit Track, Auckland
How long will it take? This is a 7km, two-hour return walk.
An easy climb through pōhutukawa forest and lava fields gives way to panoramic views of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf from the summit of this volcanic island.
- Well-formed paths through lava fields
- World's largest pōhutukawa forest to the peak at 259 m above sea level
- In the 1920s and 1930s, prisoners built 19 km of hand-packed tracks and roads
- Bach 39 Museum at Rangitoto Wharf, open by appointment
4. Cathedral Cove Walk, Coromandel
How long will it take? This is a 2.5km, one hour 30-minute return walk.
Stunning views of the Coromandel coast guide you on this well maintained/well-marked walk to the dramatic cliffs and iconic rock archway of Cathedral Cove.
- Distinctive coastal landform features with dramatic cliffs and archway
- Take a guided boat/kayak tour to see the amazing views and hear rich commentary about historical, cultural and ecological significance of the area. The tour includes the Te Whanganui-A-Hei marine reserve.
5. Wainui Falls Track, Nelson Tasman
How long will it take? This is a 3.4km, one hour 20-minute return walk.
A short walk through lush native bush leads to the cascading Wainui Falls, the largest and most accessible falls in Golden Bay.
- Giant snail (Powelliphanta)
- Wainui Falls
6. Charming Creek Walkway, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 9.5km, two to three-hour walk, one way.
Scenery and history combine in this walk along a historic bush tramway, with spectacular vistas up and down the Ngākawau Gorge, alongside an unfolding view of the Mangatini Falls.
- Mangatini Falls
- Views of Upper Ngākawau Gorge
- Remnants of sawmilling and mining history
7. Cape Foulwind Walkway, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 3.4km, one hour 15-minute walk, one way.
A seal colony, a lighthouse and panoramic views of mountains and coastline feature on this spectacular coastal walkway.
- New Zealand fur seal/kekeno breeding colony, panoramic views of mountains and coastline
- Cape Foulwind lighthouse
8. Devils Punchbowl Walking Track, Canterbury
How long will it take? This is a 2km, one-hour return walk.
Feel the full force and sound of fresh mountain water falling 131m down one of New Zealand's most stunning waterfalls.
- Spectacular waterfall
- Lush beech forest
9. Kura Tāwhiti Access Track, Canterbury
How long will it take? This is a 1.4km, 20-minute return walk to the natural rock formations.
Wander through majestic limestone rock formations and reflect on the significance of Kura Tāwhiti to Ngāi Tahu as the treasure from a distant land.
- Distinctive limestone rock formations
- Castle Hill buttercup
10. Lake Matheson/Te Ara Kairaumati Walk, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 2.6km, one hour 30-minute loop walk.
A gentle walk through native forest leads to the picturesque shore of Lake Matheson, with Aoraki/Mount Cook and Mount Tasman brilliantly reflected in its still waters.
- Reflections of Aoraki/Mt Cook on the lake
11. Fox Glacier/Te Ara o Tuawe Valley Walk, West Coast
How long will it take? This is a 2.6km, one-hour return walk.
Get spectacular views of Fox Glacier/Te Moeka o Tuawe on this short, easy walk that's suitable for children – kids can earn a Kiwi Guardians medal here too!
- Views of the impressive glacier
Experiencing the spectacular views along the Fox Glacier / Te Ara o Tuawe Valley Walk on the West Coast of the South Island. It’s a short, easy walk that is suitable for most ages and fitness levels. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Enjoy some of our best short walks – there’s something for everyone: www.doc.govt.nz/shortwalks
12. Blue Lakes and Tasman Glacier View, Canterbury
How long will it take? This is a 2.7km, 40-minute return walk.
A short walk that rewards with views of the dramatic alpine landscape, icebergs floating on the glacier lake and New Zealand's longest glacier, the mighty Haupapa/Tasman Glacier.
- The 27km Tasman glacier is the longest in New Zealand
- The rifleman, New Zealand's smallest bird
13. Blue Pools Track, Southern Lakes
How long will it take? This is a 1.5km, one-hour return walk.
Nestled among mature beech and podocarp forest, these pools of deep, clear water flowing into the Makarora River offer a moment of tranquillity.
- Views up the river gorge
- Listen for the yellowhead/mohua
14. Lake Gunn Nature Walk, Fiordland
How long will it take? This is a 1.4km, 45-minute loop walk.
Experience wild Fiordland as you wander through red beech forest, enjoying glimpses of the birdlife of the Eglinton valley, Lake Gunn and the surrounding mountains.
- Majestic landscape of the Divide of the Southern Alps