Why become an AA Driving Instructor
Video courtesy of Careers NZ
As an AA Driving Instructor, you have the freedom to run your own business. You can choose where you want to work, the days and hours to fit around your lifestyle - the opportunities are endless.
Being a driving instructor is an ideal job if you love driving, teaching and enjoy meeting new people. You run your own business, and you play a vital role in teaching our next generation how to be safe, confident and fully licensed drivers on our roads.
Becoming a driving instructor is only the first stepping stone to a successful career with the AA. We’ve mapped out the career path opportunities available to you.
Instructor career map
Income earning potential
As a self-employed driving instructor, income depends on your commitment. The more you invest in time and training, the more you can earn.
We’ve outlined your earning potential. There is an extra income earning opportunity when an instructor starts delivering defensive driving courses.
Benefits of an AA licensee agreement
When you join the team at the AA, you will be working for an iconic brand but you’ll also have amazing benefits available to you.
The AA Driving School car
The AA Driving School provides you with access to a competitively priced Suzuki Swift 1.4 GLX with the option to lease to own or purchase outright. It's the most popular selling small car in New Zealand and has a 5-star ANCAP safety rating.
Vehicle features include:
- 3 year 150,000km warranty
- AA Roadservice breakdown assistance for 5 years
- Dual controls
- Manual or automatic transmission
- Fuel card providing a saving of up to 8c per litre (for leased vehicles only)
- The AA Driving School branded signage
- Full compensation insurance available
- Increase in demand for AA Ignition
- Sophisticated automated online booking system
- Marketing support from head office
- AA Driving School branded clothing
- Our reach on Google and our social media presence (Facebook, Google Plus, Trade Me and LinkedIn)
- We have partnerships with MTA, NZTA, AA Centres, petrol companies and many more
- Access to our Instructor Services team with over 100 years of industry experience
- Dedicated Contracts and Networks Manager
- Association with an iconic respected and enduring brand
- Induction pack that will have all the information you need to be successful
How to become a driving instructor
The first step to becoming a driving instructor is to obtain an I Endorsement. You would have to submit a “fit and proper assessment” which is a DL20 form from NZTA. Once NZTA approve your application you can enrol for an I Endorsement Course.
The I Endorsement Driving Instructor Training Course from the AA is based on 8 x NZQA unit standards at level 5. This course is approved by the NZ Transport Agency and includes:
- Pre-course reading (essential for your success)
- Pre-course Driving Assessment required
- In-class theory-based training and assessments
- Demonstrations and practical in-vehicle coaching techniques
- Practical appraisals of your tuition and assessment skills
Once you've successfully passed this course, you’ll be able to apply to get the driving instructor endorsement.
You can apply for an opening with the AA as a Driving Instructor by visiting careers.aa.co.nz at any time.