Optional add-on for extra peace of mind
non-PHARMAC funded drugs can be lifesaving, but could possibly cost up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. The non-PHARMAC Plus option can be added to Private Hospital or Private Hospital and Specialist Cover, and helps you cover the cost of some drugs that are Medsafe approved and prescribed under the Medsafe guidelines, but aren’t funded by PHARMAC#.
With non-PHARMAC Plus you will have access to wider treatment options and cover for approved drugs used to treat cancer and other types of health conditions.
- Four different annual cover levels to suit your needs: $50,000, $100,000, $200,000, or $300,000#
- Cover for many pre-existing conditions after 3 years**
- 5% AA Member discount available if you provide a valid AA Membership number for you or someone named on your policy*
non-PHARMAC Plus covers the cost of these drugs, as long as:
- The treatment is eligible for cover under your Private Hospital or Private Hospital & Specialist Cover and we’ve approved a related claim for treatment.
- Your registered specialist has recommended them.
- The non-PHARMAC drugs are used in a private hospital, or at home up to six months after being admitted to hospital for approved and related treatment.
The option also covers any drug administration costs.
Be confident knowing what your policy covers
We want to make sure you're confident knowing what you are and aren't covered for. That means reading your Policy Wording to understand the benefits as well as your responsibilities, and the cover limits and exclusions of your policy.
Frequently asked questions
What is PHARMAC?
PHARMAC is a government agency who are responsible for deciding which drugs are subsidised as part of our public health system.
What is Medsafe?
Medsafe is a business unit of the Ministry of Health. They’re responsible for regulating therapeutic products in New Zealand including medicines, related products, medical devices and controlled drugs.
How do I get this option?
If you’re already an AA Health Insurance customer, and have one of the Private Hospital covers, it’s easy to add the non-PHARMAC Plus option to your existing policy by sending us an email at email@example.com or calling us on 0800 758 758. If you are a new customer, you can apply online, at an AA Centre or over the phone with our New Zealand based team.
Making claims easy
We make the claims process simple so you can focus on recovering while we look after your claim. To make your claim hassle-free, some First Choice network healthcare providers can submit pre-approvals and claims on your behalf. Plus, by choosing a First Choice network healthcare provider, you'll have 100% of your eligible costs covered (up to your benefit limit, subject to any excess payable and in line with your policy terms).
For more information on making a claim, visit our Make a claim page.