Private Hospital Cover
Peace of mind with flexible excess options
Private Hospital Cover
Private Hospital Cover helps with the big stuff, like diagnostics, surgery and treatment in recognised private hospitals. Even if you're fit and healthy, it's important to have a plan in place for unexpected medical expenses to help you get access to the right support you when you need it most.
- $300,000 surgical cover per person each year**
- $200,000 medical and cancer cover per person each year**
- Your choice of nil, $500, $1,000, $2,000, $4,000, $6,000 or $10,000 excess
- 5% AA Member discount available if you provide a valid AA Membership number for you or someone named on your policy*
non-PHARMAC funded drugs can be lifesaving, but could possibly cost up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. The non-PHARMAC Plus option can be added to Private Hospital or Private Hospital and Specialist Cover, and helps you cover the cost of some drugs that are Medsafe approved and prescribed under the Medsafe guidelines, but aren’t funded by PHARMAC#.
With non-PHARMAC Plus, you may have access to wider treatment options and cover for approved drugs used to treat cancer and other types of health conditions.
Be confident knowing what your policy covers
We want to make sure you're confident knowing what you are and aren't covered for. That means reading your Policy Wording to understand the benefits as well as your responsibilities, and the cover limits and exclusions of your policy.
Hospital Surgical Benefit
We will pay up to a total maximum of $300,000 for each insured person every policy year, less any excess for any of the surgery related benefits under this cover.
Hospital Medical Benefit (non surgical hospitalization)
We will pay up to a total maximum of $200,000 for each insured person every policy year, less any excess for the non-surgical (non-medical) and cancer related benefits under this cover. Individual limits may apply to each of the benefits.
|AA Health Insurance Private Hospital||Annual Benefit limits|
|Surgery in a recognised private hospital (Hospital Surgical Benefit)||$300,000^|
|Non-surgical hospitalisation (Hospital Medical Benefit)||$200,000^|
|Included under standalone benefits**|
|Cancer treatment||$300,000 for cancer surgery;
$200,000 for cancer treatment at hospital (including up to$10,000 for cancer treatment at home)
|Non-PHARMAC cancer treatment||$10,000|
|Skin lesion surgery||$6,000|
|Post-hospital therapeutic care||$250|
|Travel and accommodation - Cancer||Up to $5,000 for travel and accommodation|
|Travel and accommodation - Surgery or Medical||Up to $2,000 for travel and $3,000 for accommodation|
|Parent accommodation||$200 per night, up to $3,000|
|Post-hospital home nursing care||$150 per day, up to $6,000|
|ACC Top Up||Covers the difference in costs between what ACC pays for an injury and the costs incurred|
|ACC Treatment Injury||Cover for reparative treatment for any injury that occurs during treatment|
|Road ambulance transfer||Cover for cost of road ambulance transfer from a public or private hospital to the closest private hospital|
|Hospital Diagnostics||up to 6 months before and after hospitalisation|
|Hospital Specialist consultations||up to 6 months before and after hospitalisation|
|Oral surgery||Cover for oral surgery performed by an oral surgeon / maxilla-facial surgeon|
|Varicose veins surgery||Cover for varicose vein treatment on recommendation from a GP or registered specialist|
|Pre-existing cover for newborns||Pre-existing conditions are covered when a child is added within 4 months of birth|
|Loyalty benefit - suspension of cover||You may choose to suspend cover for overseas travel, parental leave and unemployment|
||Four different cover levels to suit your needs:
$50,000, $100,000, $200,000 or $300,000^
Things you should know
- Benefit limits and excesses apply per person and refresh each policy year.
- 100% of your eligible cover amount can be claimed if you select a provider from the nib First Choice Network. You can still choose a provider outside of the network; you will just need to make a 'gap-payment', as these provider rates aren't standardised and regulated through the group.
- There's a 14-day cooling off period that gives you peace of mind in knowing that if you change your mind in this time, we'll refund 100% of premiums paid.
- Waiting periods apply before you can access some benefits under your policy. See the Policy Wording for more information.
- Most pre-existing conditions are covered after a 3 year waiting period. Some pre-existing conditions are never covered. Please check the Policy Wording for full details.
- We won't change your premiums on an individual basis (unless you change your smoking status), however it's possible for all AA Health Insurance premiums to increase in the future. We will always give you 30 days' written notice if that happens.
- For more information on non-PHARMAC Plus, see the non-PHARMAC Plus Policy Wording.
Making claims easy
We make the claims process simple so you can focus on recovering while we look after your claim. To make your claim hassle-free, some First Choice network healthcare providers can submit pre-approvals and claims on your behalf. Plus, by choosing a First Choice network healthcare provider, you'll have 100% of your eligible costs covered (up to your benefit limit, subject to any excess payable and in line with your policy terms).
For more information on making a claim, visit our Make a claim page.