Be sure you're covered in case of an accident
Accidental Death from AA Life is a simple insurance policy that pays a lump sum up to $500,000 and covers you for death as a direct result of an accident, though not for death as a result of natural causes or health issues. This cover is designed to help your family pay costs that you would have helped with if you were still alive.
Anyone aged 16 to 74 can apply online, at an AA Centre or over the phone with our New Zealand team. Just bear in mind that you'll need to be a New Zealand citizen, resident or hold a valid work visa for the next 12 months.
A quick summary
- Anyone aged 16-74 can apply
- Cover for up to $500,000
- Simple application process, no medical checks
- Covered immediately on acceptance
- Benefit payouts decrease by 50% from age 75
- Cover up to the age of 85
- Tax-free, lump-sum payout
- Cover anywhere in the world
- Fixed premiums
Be confident knowing what your policy covers
We want to make sure you’re confident in knowing what you are or aren’t covered for. That means reading your policy wording to understand the benefits as well as your responsibilities, and the cover limits and exclusions of your policy.
Things you should know
- There's a 30 day no-obligation period, giving you further peace of mind in knowing that if you change your mind at this time, we'll refund 100% of the premiums you've paid.
- You should also consider that Accidental Death is not an investment policy, which means that if you decide to cancel your policy, you won’t receive any benefit or premium refund.
- Any death where the following contributed to the accident or injury won't be covered: any illness, disease, naturally occurring condition, participating in a criminal or illegal act, suicide, hazardous activities, and extreme sports, flying on a non-scheduled flight or piloting any aircraft, having blood alcohol content in excess of the current New Zealand driving limit, serving in the armed forces of a country or organisation, any war-like activities (whether war is declared or not).
- Over your lifetime it's possible to pay more in premiums than the total amount of your cover. You should consider whether Accidental Death Insurance is the best option for your situation, with other possible options being saving or investing.
- You can nominate a beneficiary which allows your cover payment to be made to someone you choose, bypassing your estate and making the money available more quickly.
Premiums can be paid fortnightly, monthly, (direct debit and credit card only), quarterly, half-yearly or annually by direct debit, credit card or cheque.