Give yourself the best chance of a complete recovery
Cancer Care gives you up to $100,000 to help towards the financial stress that accompanies the diagnosis of certain types of cancer requiring treatment.
You'll be covered wherever you are in the world, and there's a $5,000 early payout if you're diagnosed with early-stage cancer.
Anyone aged 18 to 59 can apply online, at an AA Centre or over the phone with our New Zealand based team. Just bear in mind that you'll need to be a New Zealand citizen, resident or hold a valid work visa for the next 12 months.
A quick summary
- Anyone aged 18 - 59 without a terminal illness can apply
- Cover up to $100,000
- Simple application process, no medical checks
- Covered 90 days after your policy start date
- Cancer Benefit for certain types of cancers that are incurable or require major treatment
- Early Stage Cancer Benefit for certain types of cancer
- Premiums are annually reviewable up to 65 years of age
- Tax-free, lump sum payout
- Cover anywhere in the world
Be confident knowing what your policy covers
We want to make sure you’re confident in knowing what you are or aren’t covered for. That means reading your policy wording to understand the benefits as well as your responsibilities, and the cover limits and exclusions of your policy.
Cancer Care Benefits
Pays out a lump sum if you're under 65 when diagnosed with a range of cancers at least 90 days after your cover starts or restarts, provided you're still alive 14 days after diagnosis. The diagnosed cancer must require treatment by surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, biological response modifiers, any other major treatment, or be incurable.
Early Stage Cancer Benefit
We'll pay $5,000 only once if you're diagnosed as having certain types of early-stage cancer at least 90 days after your cover starts or restarts, provided you're still alive 14 days after diagnosis. The sum insured and premiums will then be reduced to compensate for that.
Important things about Cancer Care
There are some types of cancer that aren't covered under the Cancer Care Benefit of this policy, listed below. There may be limited cover for these under the Early Stage Cancer Benefit though. Check the policy wording for full details and definitions.
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL).
- Melanomas less than 1.5mm using the Breslow method and less than Clark Level 3, and all other skin cancers unless there is evidence of metastases.
- Cancers of the prostate TNM classification T1 or a Gleason score of 5 or less.
- Benign, pre-malignant or carcinoma in situ tumors.
- Cancer of the breast or the prostate which has not spread, except where the entire breast or prostate is removed at the recommendation of a surgeon.
- Benign tumours of the brain and spinal cord.
- Please note that under the Early Stage Cancer Benefit there is no cover for carcinoma in situ of the cervix uteri, Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia (CIN) and all forms of skin cancer that are not melanoma.
Things you should know:
- We won't pay any claims arising directly or indirectly from a pre-existing condition that was present in the five years before the cover started or restarted.
- Cancer Care policies expire at 65 years of age, and because this isn't an investment policy, that means you won't receive a payout/surrender value when this happens.
- Premiums for Cancer Care are reviewed annually. You can expect your premiums to increase as you get older.
- Premiums can be paid fortnightly, monthly (direct debit and credit card only), quarterly, half-yearly or annually by direct debit or credit card.
- There's a 30 day no-obligation period, giving you further peace of mind in knowing that if you change your mind at this time, we'll refund 100% of the premiums you've paid.
- You should also consider that Cancer Care is not an investment policy, which means that if you decide to cancel your policy, you won’t receive any benefit or premium refund.
- Over your lifetime it's possible to pay more in premiums than the total amount of your cover. You should consider whether Cancer Care is the best option for your situation, with other possible options being saving or investing.