Take out cover for yourself, a family member, or both
Apply for Life or Funeral Cover today and get a $100 Prezzy® card*
Take out a new Life or Funeral Cover policy before 22 December 2023 and you'll receive a $100 Prezzy® card*.
Remember to use the promo code: PREZZY23 when you apply.
*Take out and pay for a new Life Cover or Funeral Cover policy from 27 November to 22 December 2023 and get a $100 Prezzy card for every new policy. Full T&Cs apply, see here for details. Terms and conditions apply to the use of Prezzy® Cards and can be found at www.prezzycard.co.nz
Funeral Cover is a simple insurance policy with guaranteed underwriting acceptance. You can choose up to $30,000 of cover which can be used to pay for your funeral expenses or other associated costs, putting your mind at ease.
After two years of cover, there's an early payout available for terminal illness to help you get your affairs in order. It's quick and easy to apply, where you can take out cover for yourself, someone else, or both.
Anyone aged 50 to 79 can apply online, at an AA Centre or over the phone with our New Zealand based team. Just bear in mind that you'll need to be a New Zealand citizen, resident or hold a valid work visa for the next 12 months.
Interested in knowing what a typical New Zealand funeral costs? Find out what's covered and how much Funeral Insurance you might need.
A quick summary
- Anyone aged 50 - 79 can apply
- Cover up to $30,000
- Simple application process, no medical checks
- Covered immediately for accidental death, with cover for non-accidental death and terminal illness after 24 months
- Death and terminal illness benefit included, with double payout for accidental death
- Premiums are payable until your 90th birthday. Then cover continues free of charge after this time
- Tax-free, lump sum payout
- Cover anywhere in the world
Be confident knowing what your policy covers
Funeral insurance can help with funeral expenses and other associated costs. We want to make sure you’re confident in knowing what you are or aren’t covered for. That means reading your policy wording to understand the benefits as well as your responsibilities, and the cover limits and exclusions of your policy.
Funeral Cover Benefits
Accidental Death Benefit
If your death is the result of an accident (and death occurs within 90 days of the accident) we'll pay double your cover amount.
Terminal illnessIf you're diagnosed with a terminal illness for the first time and your policy has been in force for 24 months, we'll pay out early to help you make arrangements for yourself and your loved ones before you go.
Death from natural causes
If you die of natural causes in the first 24 months of cover, we'll refund all premiums paid. If this happens after 24 months, you'll receive your full cover amount.
Depending on your situation, you could be eligible for a premium holiday of up to six months, which gives some flexibility for future financial changes in life.
Here's a guide to help you understand the Funeral Cover policy benefits
Things you should know
- There's a 30 day no-obligation period gives you further peace of mind in knowing that if you change your mind in this time, we'll refund 100% of the premiums you've paid.
- Premiums can be paid fortnightly, monthly (direct debit and credit card only), quarterly, half-yearly or annually by direct debit or credit card.
- You should also consider that Funeral Cover isn't an investment policy, which means that if you cancel your policy, you won't receive any benefit or premium refund.
- If you die of natural causes or suicide in the first 24 months, all premiums paid will be refunded.
- Your full cover amount will be payable if you pass away from natural causes and your policy has been in force for two years or more.
- Over your lifetime it's possible to pay more in premiums than your total cover amount. You should consider whether Funeral Cover is the best option for your situation, with other possible options being saving or investing.
- You can nominate a beneficiary which allows your cover payout to be made to someone you choose, bypassing your estate and making the money available more quickly.